Hillsborough CTA and HCTA Professional Learning Center, Inc.
The Hillsborough Classroom Teachers Association (HCTA) is a labor union representing teachers and educational support professionals working for the School District of Hillsborough County. The union handles negotiations, employee relations and representation, as well as professional development. The HCTA Professional Learning Center, Inc. is a 501(3) non-profit organization dedicated to training and professional development for all educators and education support professionals.
The Accountant/Office Manager is responsible for the day to day bookkeeping and accounting needs of the union, including payroll, dues processing, accounts payable and receivable, and recordkeeping for all union accounts and HCTA Professional Learning Center accounts. The incumbent will be responsible for the filing of various state reports and will work with the outside auditors to provide relevant information for the completion of tax returns and other reports. The accountant/office manager will also be responsible for the oversight of support staff working on various projects. The individual will report to the executive director.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Working with the executive director, responsible for the compilation of the annual budget and monthly financial statements
• Reconciliation of multiple bank accounts, including all payments
• Record keeping related to grants and appropriate reporting regarding grant activities
• Payroll and other supportive functions related to the human resource needs of HCTA
• Responsible for vendor management and the purchasing of all office supplies
• As necessary, coordinates overall administrative activities of support staff
• Supervises the maintenance of office areas and equipment, and housekeeping of office facilities
• Assists executive director and communications coordinator with day to day operations of the facilities (such as distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc.)
• Participates as needed in special projects or other duties as assigned
• Evening and weekend work is sometimes required
Skills and Attributes
• Good planning and organizational skills
• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
• Computer literacy, specifically MS Word for Windows, Quickbooks or other accounting software
• Ability to manage staff and projects
• BS or MS Degree in accounting is preferred, but appropriate experience will be considered
• At least two years of previous experience in accounting and office management
• Previous experience working for a labor union preferred, but not required